Today, we’ll talk about frozen shoulder and how to treat it with tecar therapy Fisiowarm 7.0.
Frozen shoulder is quite a common condition, also known as adhesive capsulitis. According to the traditional definition, it’s a periarticular disorder that causes loss of normal range of motion.
However, things are changing, and since 2014 the term is no longer frozen shoulder but frozen shoulder contracture syndrome (Lewis).
Based on the traditional view, this condition comprised 3 stages with recovery usually after 6 to 12 months:
- Freezing: gradual loss of normal ROM and increased pain
- Frozen: joint stiffness, loss of ROM, and persistent pain.
- Thawing: gradual improvement of the ROM and pain reduction over a period of 6 to 12 months.
However, recent studies divide these three stages based on the condition’s progress:
- Stage 1: Predominant pain and initial structural changes
- Stage 2: Stiffness that may or may not be associated with pain
- Stage 3: Decreased pain and stiffness
Recovery may not be complete and may take more than 6 to 12 months.
Thanks to Victoria Ryan, since 2016, we no longer talk about small lesions that gradually lead to the disorder but histochemical alterations in the tissues. Inflammation and fibrosis coexist. The cause of this capsular alteration is still unknown.
There are three factors:
- Higher levels of cytokines, resulting in increased inflammation
- Enzyme processes, especially metalloproteinases and their inhibitors, resulting in altered type I and type III collagen turnover.
- Increased presence of mast cells, which trigger a cytokine storm leading to neo-angiogenesis
Combining manual therapy with tecar therapy using Fisiowarm 7.0 will improve the treatment’s outcome and speed up recovery. Reducing pain, improving ROM, and restoring movement and sport-specific gestures are some of tecar therapy’s advantages.
The treatment protocol is divided into as many stages as the condition.
Looking for the best therapeutic performances?
Discover why Fisiowarm 7.0 is the ULTIMATE tecartherapy device on the marketplace!